Friday, August 12, 2011

So. College.

I am almost 32 years old, and am finally serious about getting me some edjamucation.

I applied to Old Dominion waaaay back in April, and have been waiting.  And waiting.  And faithfully checking the status of the application online.  And waiting some more.  Turns out the college I went to a decade ago never sent the requested transcripts. Uh, thanks guys. So ODU admissions called me, told me what I needed, and seven days later, I'm accepted!    The next challenge is what I'm going to take, and when.  I decided to go to the Virginia Beach Higher Education Campus, thinking it was more for us non-high school types who already have jobs and kids and stuff, and that classes would be at night.  Wrong.  Wrong wrong wrong.  After going over the curriculum and finding what was available, the only night class.  But you know what?  It works.  Well, not quite yet, I still need to register for said classes and clear it with the boss-lady, but if everything is blessed off, then oh my God, it will be a perfect arrangement.  The way I worked it out, I will be home NO LATER than 2:30 on any given day of the week.  That means Mommy will be waiting patiently at the bus stop for the offspring.  So it would be a win-win!

Another thing I did was change my major.  Again.  When I went to Niagara County Community College, I was a Criminal Justice major.  I wanted to be a crime-fighting hero. Rawr.  But the universe intervened, gave me a baby, then another, and then yet ANOTHER, and then finally gave me a kick in the ass.  So last year I went to Columbia College, and decided that psychology was the way to go.  Now, I love psychology, but in order to be even a tad marketable, I would need a Master's. And then a doctorate.  And by then I'd be either gray-haired and frail-boned, or possibly even dead.  Yeah, no thanks.  But hey, at least I'm finally doing it.

So here's to three more years of  perseverance to earn that elusive Bachelor's degree, and if I'm feeling particularly motivated, the Master's will be soon to follow.

And with that, I'm off to call the advisor.  Again

No comments:

Post a Comment